Working with Calendar Events
The Calendar on the main Institute website is a place for Caltech departments, divisions, clubs, and other campus organizations to share events with members of the Caltech community and the public. Events may also appear on Caltech Today, and may display on other campus websites based on synchronization settings. The weekly Ion Caltech email, which is sent each Monday, will include a selection of events that were posted by 2:00 p.m. on the previous Thursday.
As an event planner, you will enter your events directly into the main website's database.
Please click on the section headings below for instructions on entering and managing events on the Calendar.
- Go to /admin and log in using your access.caltech username and password. If you do not already have an account on the main website, you'll need to request an account by filling out a brief form.
- Once logged in, you'll see your dashboard, with two sections of existing announcements to which you have access: Recent Events for Your Groups and Your Most Recent Edits. Between these two sections, on the right side of the screen, you'll see a link for "New Event." Select this. (You may also use the New Event button on the My Events screen; see "Managing Campus Events" below.)
- It's a good idea to use the Save Draft button at the bottom of the screen to save your work periodically.
- Enter a title for your event. Please keep the title short and do not use all capital letters.
- Enter the start and end dates and times
- Click in each field and choose the date from the calendar
- The time defaults to the current time. Adjust the time as appropriate.
- Check the All Day box if the event does not have a specific start and end time.
- Select the event location by typing a portion of the location name or room number in the Location field.
NOTE: If your location does not show, please email w[email protected] and ask to have the location added to the system.
- Enter the event information in the Description field, where you see "Write here..."
- If the event is part of a series, select the series by typing a portion of the name in the Series field. (If your series does not show, please email [email protected] and ask to have the series added to the system.)
- Select the campus sponsor(s) of the event by typing a portion of the sponsor name in the Sponsor field. You may add multiple sponsors. If you add a sponsor by mistake, use the small "x" next to the sponsor's name to remove it.
- The Show To field defaults to "Everyone." This means the event will display on the campus Calendar. If you do not want the event do display on the main campus calendar, change this setting to "Do Not Display." The event will still be available to division and department websites whose calendars are set to display events with its sponsor or series.
- If the intended audience for your event is the general public, select the "Public" tag by clicking once in the Tags field.
- Enter the contact person's name, email, and phone number in the "Contact Info" section. When entering the phone number, please be sure to enter the full number, including area code.
- If the event has its own website, enter the full web address (including "http://") in the Event link URL and enter the text to display in the Event link text field.
- If the event has one or more speakers presenting, open the "Seminar Fields" section by clicking on the pink section heading and complete the fields:
- Enter the actual title of the speaker's talk in the Seminar Title field.
- If the event has a campus host, complete the Seminar Host Name and Seminar Host Email fields. Note that this information does not display on the main campus calendar but may display on some departmental calendar.
- Click the "Add Speakers" button to show fields for the first speaker. Complete the speaker information fields as needed. To add an additional speaker, click the "Add Speakers" button again. Use the arrows in the upper right of each speaker's block of fields to reorder the speakers for proper display on the event page.
- If your event information is time sensitive, you may choose to schedule when it first displays on the web site.
- Click on the Settings tab near the top of the screen.
- Enter the date and time your event should automatically publish and go live.
- When your event entry is complete, select the up arrow next to the Save Draft button and choose "Publish."
NOTE: At any point, you may preview your event by saving a draft and selecting the gray Preview button at the bottom of the screen.
When logged in, you can return to your dashboard by clicking on the bird in the upper left corner of the admin interface, or in the lower right corner of the public interface.
There are three ways to edit an existing upcoming event:
- On your dashboard, what you'll see in the Recent Events for Your Groups and Your Most Recent Edits sections are the five most recently edited events. These are not necessarily newly-entered events or upcoming events. Edit the event you want by hovering over its name and clicking the Edit button. If you don't see the event you're looking for on your dashboard, the easiest way to find and edit an event is to use the My Events screen.
- Use My Events to see a full list of your events, with options for searching and filtering. Load the My Events listing by clicking on the menu item in the left column. Use the filter boxes in the header at the top to enter criteria to narrow the list, then click the Filter button. The list of events can be sorted by any of the column headings by clicking on the appropriate column header. Clicking again will reverse the sort order. Once you find it, edit the event you want by hovering over its name and clicking the Edit button.
- Edit an event from the public view of the calendar by hovering over any event and clicking the Live button. Once you see the event page displayed in a new browser tab, click on the small Calendar link directly above the event name, then use the search and filter options in the left column of the calendar to find the event you want to edit. Click on the event title of the specific event you need to edit. When the event page loads, you should see the wagtail bird in the lower right corner. Click on that and choose Edit This Page.
If your event needs to be canceled, please edit the Title to begin with "CANCELED." You may also want to edit the Description field to explain the cancellation and/or give information about possible rescheduling.
If you accidentally enter a duplicate event, please unpublish the duplicate entry by editing the event, selecting the up arrow next to the Save Draft button, and choosing "Unpublish."
Why can't I log in?
You probably don't have an account on the main website. Use the "Request an Account" link in the upper right corner of this page and an admin will set up your account and reply via email.
Why don't I see any event options once I'm logged in?
You don't yet have "event planner" permissions assigned to your account. Email [email protected] and let us know. We'll fix it.
How can I edit a past event?
You can't. But if you need to update a past event, email your requested change to [email protected]. Please be sure to include the full, direct URL to the event page you need updated.
- Request an Account
- Working with Campus Announcements
- Editorial Guidelines for Caltech Today and Ion Caltech
If you have questions, or problems entering events, please email [email protected], and an administrator will get back to you.