Violence in the Middle East
To: The Caltech Community
From: Thomas F. Rosenbaum, Sonja and William Davidow Presidential Chair and Professor of Physics
This weekend, the world watched with horror the escalating violence in Israel and Gaza. These events, with the threat of prolonged upheaval and rising casualties, hit close to home for Caltech faculty, students, postdocs, and staff with ties to the region.
We denounce these acts of terrorism, where a person's nationality or religion are sufficient to engender hate. Caltech is a close-knit, international community committed to providing an environment that embraces the diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of all who study and work here. We eschew violence. We value people for who they are and what they have to say, whether we agree or disagree. We strive to enable each and every member of our community to reach their full potential. We encourage an open exchange of ideas so that through dialogue and debate we can advance a shared understanding of the world and together chart a brighter path forward.
As we collectively process and respond to these events, please find support through the campus resources listed below.
- Caltech Center for Inclusion and Diversity: (626) 395-6207 / [email protected]
- Dean of Undergraduate Students: (626) 395-6551 / [email protected]
- Graduate Studies Office: (626) 395-6346 / [email protected]
- Staff/Faculty Consultation Center: (626) 395-8360 / [email protected]
- Caltech Student Wellness Services: Health (626) 395-6393 | Counseling (626) 395-8331
- After-hours crises support available 24/7, including weekends and holidays: (626) 395-8331 and press "2" when prompted. Please stay on the line.
- International Student Programs: (626) 395-6330 / [email protected]
- Campus Security: Emergency Line: (626) 395-5000 (on campus) / Non-emergencies including escorts, reports, or information: (626) 395-4701
- The Equity & Title IX Office: (626) 395-3132 / [email protected]
- The Caltech Y: (626) 395-6163 / [email protected]
- Caltech Accessibility Services for Students (CASS): (626) 395-2961 / [email protected]