Tips for Staying Safe When Visiting Campus
May 30, 2020
With fewer people on campus due to local and state "Safer at Home" orders, it is important for members of the Caltech community who do need to come to campus to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings.
Caltech Security is continuing to patrol campus to keep people and property safe and secure. However, it's important to remember the following tips for staying safe when visiting campus:
- Secure your valuables in locked compartments.
- Lock your office doors when leaving for any amount of time.
- Do not leave personal items unattended.
- Be alert and watch out for anyone trying to follow you. Trust your instincts. If someone or something makes you feel uneasy, get out or get away and call Security immediately.
- Report individuals who try to "tailgate" to enter secure buildings and restricted areas without keys or the proper credentials by slipping in behind someone else.
- Do not prop open exterior doors.
Your safety is our primary concern. DO NOT attempt to confront anyone you suspect is engaging in suspicious or criminal activity. Instead, report any suspicious activity to Security immediately at 626-395-5000 (x5000). If you feel uncomfortable, you can call Security for an escort on campus.