Motor Vehicle Theft
Caltech Timely Warning
Motor Vehicle Theft
On February 22, 2023, at 3:36 AM, Caltech Security responded to Holliston Ave near San Pasqual to investigate a report of a theft of a motor vehicle. The victim reported that they had parked their 2014 brown Hyundai Sonata on Holliston Ave. on Tuesday, February 21, 2023, at 6:40 PM.
This is the second motor vehicle theft on campus within the past forty-eight hours. A 2020 black Kia Sportage was reported stolen from the South Wilson Structure on Monday, February 20, 2023.
Caltech Security and the Pasadena Police are investigating these crimes and request assistance from the Caltech community. Campus Security has increased patrols in and around the parking areas. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call (888) 395-8787.
There is no suspect description at this time.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, Caltech Security encourages you to follow these tips:
- Immediately notify Caltech Security at 626-395-5000 or by dialing 5000 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
- Always lock your office and residential doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
- Lock your vehicle doors.
- Third-party locks and immobilizers for steering wheels and brake pedals can be inexpensive ways to help deter theft.
- Alarms, with kill switches and immobilizers, also are effective, but are more expensive.
- Park in a well-lit and populated area when possible.
- Report person(s) acting in a suspicious, alarming, or unsafe manner.
Caltech Security wants to remind the Caltech community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.