To: The Caltech Community
From: Thomas F. Rosenbaum, Sonja and William Davidow Presidential Chair and Professor of Physics
Date: October 10, 2019
Re: Caltech's 2019 Code of Conduct
Caltech's scientific and technological achievements emerge out of dynamic interactions among scientists and engineers working together to expand knowledge and advance human wellbeing. As a community, we are committed to fostering interactions that are guided by sound ethical principles and a commitment to the highest level of integrity. Caltech's Code of Conduct is a resource that we all can use to ensure that our actions are beyond reproach and comply with the law.
In a world of rapid change and a shifting legal landscape, you may encounter situations in which the best course of action is not obvious. The following list provides resources available to any member of the Caltech community who would like advice or counsel regarding such a situation:
- Staff members on campus and at JPL may contact their immediate supervisors.
- Faculty, postdoctoral scholars, researchers, students, and staff within the academic divisions may always contact their academic or research advisors, immediate faculty or staff supervisors, and higher levels of the divisional administration, up to the Division Chairs.
- Students may contact the Dean of Undergraduate Students (626.395.6351) or the Dean of Graduate Studies (626.395.6346).
- Any member of the Institute may direct questions regarding sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator (626.395.3132) or email@example.com.
- Any member of the Institute may direct questions regarding research integrity to the campus Office of Research Compliance (626.395.2907) or the JPL Office of the Chief Scientist (818.354.0526).
- Any member of the Institute may direct questions to Human Resources (626.395.3300), JPL's Ethics Office (818.354.6338), Audit Services and Institute Compliance (626.395.8075), or the Office of the General Counsel (626.395.3241).
When ordinary channels are not available or there is a need for confidentiality or anonymity, you may contact the campus hotline (626.395.8787, toll free 888.395.8787) or the JPL ethics line (818.354.9999 or toll free 866.405.7536). Please be aware that the Caltech Whistleblower Policy prohibits retaliation against any individual who makes a good faith disclosure of suspected wrongful conduct.
Thank you for your shared commitment to the highest standards of behavior.