Throop Memorial Garden was once the site of Throop Hall, named after the founder of Throop University, Amos G. Throop.
Throop University was founded in 1891 and became the California Institute of Technology in 1920. Built in 1910, Throop Hall was the first building on this campus. It was demolished because of damage caused by the 1971 Sylmar earthquake (magnitude 6.6), but the original arches from the building's entrance can now be seen between Crellin and Church labs.
The garden was made possible through support from Martha Vaughan Smith, great-granddaughter of Amos G. Throop.