What We Do
The intersection of science and philanthropy is a complex space that requires thoughtful negotiation. Our mission in the Office of Foundation Relations (OFR) is to ensure that Caltech's proposals to foundations and other private funders are as compelling and competitive in the philanthropic world as our research is in the scientific realm.
Our essential functions are:
- Guiding interactions and managing relationships with foundations and the individuals who drive foundation giving, including strategies for cultivation, solicitation and reporting/stewardship, in cooperation with campus partners;
- Identifying and cultivating new opportunities for foundation funding, and disseminating appropriate RFPs;
- Consulting with faculty, DIR colleagues and campus leadership regarding the suitability of specific projects or priorities for RFPs and other funding opportunities with respect to funder alignment and interest;
- Working with faculty, division chairs and campus leaders to develop appropriate framing and targeted messaging in order to appeal to specific foundation funders;
- Helping develop narratives about faculty research and institutional priorities that demonstrate strong alignment with funder interests;
- Advising on foundation policies, submission procedures, compliance issues and administrative paths.