How to Post Events and Seminars to the Caltech Master Calendar
The Caltech Master Calendar delivers daily information about events taking place across the campus, from lectures and seminars to public entertainment and student-club activities.
As an event planner, you will enter your events directly into the website's database. Any group on campus may request to have a member added to the list of event planners by emailing email@example.com and requesting to have a user added and mapped to event planners role.
Step-by-Step Process for Posting an Event/Seminar
- Go to http://www.caltech.edu/user and log in.
- Your username will be provided in your initial confirmation email.
- On your first login, you will need to use the "forgot password" link to reset your password. For security reasons, DO NOT use your access.caltech password.
- At the top, left-hand corner, click on "Add content."
- Click on "Seminar" if your item is a lecture or seminar; click on "Event" if it is any other activity on campus with a predetermined time and location.
- Enter the title of your event. Please do not use all capital letters.
- If you are entering a seminar, the "Title" field should be the singular form of the name of the seminar series (e.g. "Astronomy Tea Talk" if it's part of the Astronomy Tea Talk Series). The "Seminar Title" field should contain the title of the individual talk, (e.g. "Red-Shift Measurements from HST"). If the talk title is not yet known, leave this field blank, or enter "Title TBA."
- Enter the start and end dates and times for your event.
- Click once in the Date field to pop up a calendar to easily choose a date, or enter the date in this format: dd/mm/yyyy.
- Enter times using military (24-hour) time convention (1:00 p.m. is 13:00), or click once in the Time field to pull up a scrollable list of times. (Note that times may only be entered in 10-minute intervals.)
- Type part of your event location's name in the "Location" field (without hitting enter), wait for the drop-down, then select your event location. If the location is not on the autocomplete list, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and an administrator will add it.
- Add your event details in the "Description" field. If you are pasting content into this section, please be sure to use the "Paste from Word" button to paste formatted text in place rather than pasting it directly into this field.
- For non-seminar events, the first portion of this text will automatically appear as the event's summary on the Master Calendar's list of events. Seminar events show the seminar title and speaker instead of the first part of the description.
- If you're entering a seminar, type part of your seminar's series name in the Lecture Series field (without hitting enter0, wait for the drop-down, then select the series. If you are entering an event in a series not yet listed on the master calendar, email email@example.com and an administrator will add it.
- Enter one or more organizations in the Event Sponsors section by typing part of the sponsor name—such as just "Division"—into the field (without hitting enter), waiting for the drop-down, then selecting the sponsor. If the organization you want to list as a sponsor is not on the list, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and an administrator will add it.
- Enter event contacat information in the appropriate fields. When entering phone numbers, please enter the full campus extension in this format: 626-395-xxxx.
- If your event has a web page of its own, you may enter that in the Event URL field and the event detail page will link to your other page.
- For seminars, enter the information on the speaker in the appropriate fields.
- For seminars you may also enter the seminar host's name and email address. This information is NOT displayed on www.caltech.edu but is included in the calendar feeds that are used to build seminar listing pages on division or group sites.
- The "Show to" field allows you to determine if the event will be visible on the Master Calendar:
- If you choose "Everyone," it will be included on the Caltech Master Calendar.
- If you choose "Do Not Display," the event will be included in the feeds used for displaying events on other websites, but will not be shown on the Master Calendar itself on www.caltech.edu.
- Save your posting.
If you have questions or problems entering events, please email email@example.com, and an administrator will get back to you.