How to Post an Announcement
The Campus Announcements and Updates page on the main Institute website is a place for Caltech departments, divisions, clubs, and other campus organizations to share announcements with members of the Caltech community. Announcements also appear on Caltech Today.
As an announcement administrator, you will enter your notices directly into the website's database. Campus departments may request to have a member added to the list of announcement administrators by emailing email@example.com and requesting to have a user added as a "Campus Announcer."
The weekly Ion Caltech email, which is sent each Monday, will include a selection of announcements that were posted by 2:00 p.m. on the previous Thursday.
Step-by-Step Process for Posting an Announcement
- Go to http://www.caltech.edu/user and log in. (If you do not already have a user account for entering announcements, request an account by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Your username will be provided in your initial confirmation email.
- On your first login, you will need to use the "forgot password" link to reset your password. For security reasons, DO NOT use your access.caltech password.
- Click on "Add content" in the gray menu bar, in the top left corner. If your only role on the site is to add campus announcements, you will be taken directly to the add announcement form. If you are also an event planner, you will need to choose "Campus Announcement" from the list of items you may add.
- Enter a title for your announcement.
- Please keep the title short and do not use all capital letters.
- Select your group from the "Section Name" pull down.
- If your group is not on the list, please do not post your announcement to someone else's section. Please email email@example.com and request your group be added to our section list. A square icon or graphic will appear beside announcements for each group, so if you have a logo or icon, please include it (or a link to it) in your email.
- If you would like for your name to appear as the writer in the RSS feed, fill out the "writer" field. If not, leave that field blank.
- Add your announcement in the "Body" field. If you are pasting content into this section, please be sure to use the "Paste from Word" button to paste formatted text in place rather than pasting it directly into this field.
- Generally you may ignore the "Teaser Info" section. This section exists to allow you to provide an alternate, shorter title for use when space is at a premium.
- Save your posting.
- This will save the Announcement on our site but no one else will be able to see it until you "Publish" it. When you are viewing an unpublished item, it will have a pink background to remind you that this is only visible to you (and to website administrators).
- To publish your content, click the "Edit" link in the preview page and choose "Publish" at the bottom of the form.
If you have questions or problems entering announcements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and an administrator will get back to you.